Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Washington Years


I recently had to have my dog of 13 years put to sleep. Her name was Washington.


As I was driving back from the vet after having to do the most difficult thing I believe I have ever had to do in my life, I turned to my wife and said, "This is the end of an era. The end of 'The Washington Years'." We got a chuckle out of that, which felt good, especially since we were both in tears at the time. But it was true. It has only been about 24 hours since Washy's death, and everything seems different. I can't put a finger on it either. Things just seem different.


You know, thinking back, I believe Washington picked me, not the other way around. When I went to a friend's to pick her out of the litter 13 years ago, I sat on the floor. All the puppies raced over and crawled in my lap. After 30 seconds, they got bored and reaced off. All except one, that is.


Washington was a gentle soul. She never harmed a flee. She never once barked in anger and I never ever saw the hair on the back of her neck stand up. It was not in her nature. Considering she was part wolf (less than a quarter I was told), that is amazing. Although, it is true she shed enough in any one day to make up a small chihuahua.


I am not saying Washington was a perfect angel. I remeber the first time she had trouble with her legs, about a year ago. She spent 36 hours not rising. I thought this was probably the end for her. She finally got to her feet and I decided I had better get her outside ASAP, since she had spent those 36 hours NOT using the bathroom. I thought to myself, she's sick and feeble, so there is no sense to hook her. She wasn't going anywhere in her condition. Next thing I knew, I was chasing her down the street.


Washington has been a part of my family since before Cara and I were married, twice as long actually. I got her on the very day I moved into my house. She was just a little pup at the time, with great big paws. She has been my faithful companion for 13 years. That good natured, smelly dog with the big smile and lots of hair, who left great big brown treats all over the yard will be missed.

No comments: