Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween, not my cup of tea

I'm not sure why, but I've never cared for Halloween. Even as a kid, it was far from my favorite holiday. As an adult, I really don't like it at all.

Now, before you go calling me Scrooge or the Grinch, you need to know that I absolutely love just about every other holiday going. To me, the Christmas season begins in mid-November, encompassing Thanksgiving and lasting until well after New Year's. If my wife would let me, I'd leave the Christmas lights up until the snow has melted, which here in Maine is sometimes late March. I listen to only Christmas music during the Yuletide season. To me, a sense of peace comes over me during that time of year.

But Halloween is an invasion of privacy. Imagine the nerve of people forcing you to give out candy, or be forced to have a trick played on you. I have no problem with the origins of Halloween, but the modern Halloween has developed into a begging for candy festival. It is time someone revamp Halloween.

No comments: