Monday, October 29, 2007

Red Sox Win the World Series!!

Red Sox fans are beginning to get spoiled. Here the Boston Red Sox go 86 years between World Series titles, from 1918 to 2004, and they go and win another one 3 years later. We are definitely being spoiled... and LOVING EVERY MINUTE!!

And there could be more.

The 2004 team had a lot of veterans who were in the last year of their contract or their contracts were expiring the following year. The 2007 team certainly has its share of veterans whose contracts are coming to an end, but they also have a number of players that will be with the team a long time, as well as some very talented young players.

With Dustin Pedroia, Jaboby Ellsbury, Manny Delcarmen, Jon Lester, Jonathan Papelbon, and Clay Buchholz as young as they are, the Sox are set for a very long time. Papelbon, Ellsbury and Pedroia were key to the World Series win. Lester won game 4. Buchholz had the no-hitter this year in his second Major League start. Delcarmen is a force coming out of the bullpen.

The following players can file for free agency this year: Mike Lowell, Curt Schilling, Doug Mirabelli, Mike Timlin, Eric Hinske, Eric Gagne, Bobby Kielty, Matt Clement and Julian Tavarez. These are my feelings on who to sign and who not to. Mike Lowell is a must-sign. They have to. They should. I believe they will. I would not pay one cent to try to get A-Rod. No way, no how. He would destroy team dynamics, he can't hit in the clutch, and he simply is not worthy of being a Red Sock. I would offer Mike Timlin a one-year contract and see if he is interested. I would not re-sign Curt Schilling, as much as he has been a force for the Sox over the years. I would tell Gagne not to let the door hit him in the butt on the way out. Clement, no way. Tavarez, nope. I'd let Mirabelli go (Kevin Cash did an admirable job catching Wakefield this year). I would defineitely re-sign Eric Hinske, who fills such a valuable spot being able to back up first, third and the outfield corners. Bobby Kielty, I would probably let go, although I would not argue too much if they re-signed him.

Besides all that, I would trade Coco Crisp. Jacoby Ellsbury has proven he is ready for the big show, and Coco is too good a player to put on the bench. Out of respect to him, I would trade him. I'd renew Wakefield's contract for another year, as you can't argue with 17 wins, despite the health problems.

Lastly, I will address this to Theo Epstein and the owners and repeat what I stated earlier: you MUST re-sign Mike Lowell. Do not pull a Yankee and attempt to sign A-Rod. I honestly could not respect a team that would jeopardize team chemistry to sign one of the best and most expensive players in baseball, this player also being one of the most disfunctional and greedy. That would be a completely disresectful thing to do to Mike Lowell. Give Lowell three years at a great salary. You will not regret it.

No comments: