Thursday, October 25, 2007

Autumn in Maine

I'm not really sure why Fall is my favorite time of year. Maine has such great seasons. Summers are warm and comfortable, without too many hot and muggy days. Springs are great because the air begins to warm up and the black flies and misquitoes that "bug" people all summer have not yet arrived. Nothing beats a Maine winter evening as the snow lightly falls, while you watch out the window. Fall, however, is still my favorite.

There is something about the sound and smell of Autumn leaves that I love. The sound the leaves make as the wind blows them is so soothing. I love to walk through the fallen leaves, and listen. And the smell! Oh, how the smell of Fall leaves sets one's mind at ease, and brings a feeling of peacefullness.

You know, I'm finding it hard to explain why Fall is so fantastic. The chill in the air, the color of the changing leaves, the anticipation of... what? I just can't explain it.

Maybe it's just the changing of the seasons that I like. And Fall is perhaps the most drastic. Again, I'm not sure. I just know that Autumn is my favorite season, for reasons that escape me. It just is.

No comments: