Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgvings Apart

This was the first year since Cara and I got married that we have spent Thanksiving apart from each other. The original plan was to have Thanksgiving at my parents' house in Searsport on Thanksgiving Day, then the next day Cara would drive the five to six hour ride to her parents' home in Allagash and she would have a late Thanksgiving with them, while I stayed in Belfast with Harry (our miniature pinscher). As do many well laid plans, things changed.

Cara's grandmother passed away about a month ago and this would have been Cara's mom's first Thanksgiving without her. Cara wanted to be there for her mom on Thanksgiving Day and decided to go up earlier than she had originally expected, which of course would mean missing the Searsport Thanksgiving. It would also mean missing spending Thanksgiving with Seth, home from college, who would not be too apt to drive the extra five hours to Allagash after driving two hours home from Portland.

So, this is what happened:

Monday night (of Thanksgiving week) after school, Cara and I drove to Portland to take Seth out to dinner. This would be the only time the three of us would be together for Thanksgiving. We got to see his new apartment and met one of his roommates before taking him to Vinny T's, an Italian restaurant that I would highly recommend. We had a great time, a nice visit with Seth, and managed to get home before nine o'clock.

Wednesday morning, Cara drove north. She met her mom in Presque Isle, where the two did some Christmas shopping together, and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. I spent much of the day at my parents' house, visiting with my brother Allen, his wife Sara, and their adorable two-year old daughter Rachel, plus my two nephews (my sister Karen's boys), Jacob and Kevin. We had a great visit. Seth arrived home from school that night.

Thursday, I woke Seth up at ten o'clock so he could meet his birth father in Bangor and ride with him to Millinocket to spend Thanksgiving with his dad's family. When I woke Seth, he let me know that his dad had just called him on the cell phone and cancelled due to weather. I, of course, immediately invited him to come with me to my parents' for Thanksgiving.

I went over early to Mom and Dad's and enjoyed visiting with Allen, Sara, Rachel, Karen Jake and Kevin, Mom and Dad, and shortly before dinner, with my grandfather and with Seth. We had a great turkey dinner. It was a bit strange in three ways. 1.) Cara was not there. 2.) Most years we also got together with the Leightons (my Mom's sister, and family) which usually doubled the number of people, but they weren't available at the same time as us this year. 3.) This was the second year without my grandmother, who had passed away in 2006. All things considered, though, it was still an awesome Thanksgiving. Cara had her Thanksgiving dinner at her parents, brother and sister-on-law that evening. I'm sure it was tough after the recent passing of her grandmother, but I am also sure they had a great time and the food was equally as delicious as the Searsport meal.

Friday, I spent some more time at Mom and Dad's and also went to my grandfather's apartment in Searsport, where we finally got together with the Leightons (Aunt Jan, Uncle Ron, Amy and Dan and their new baby Avery, plus newlyweds Sarah and Chris). Later in the day, I also got to meet Seth's new girlfriend.

Tomorrow, Cara comes home and Seth goes back to school. Christmas season has begun, my favorite time of the year. And it won't be long before the first snowfall will stick to the ground.

No comments: